Ice cream is delicious… yummy, yummy.
Some fun facts about ice cream:
– Ice cream became available to the general population in France in 1660.
– Ice cream was introduced to America at the beginning of the eighteenth century, but mostly enjoyed by those of status and wealth.
– One of the major ingredients in ice cream is air. Without it, the stuff would be as hard as a rock.
– Hawaii has a fruit known as the ice cream bean that actually tastes like vanilla ice cream!
– There is actually an ice cream diet designed for weight loss.
– Legend has it that the Roman emperor Nero used to send his slaves scurrying to the mountains to collect snow and ice to make flavored ices, the precursors to ice cream, in the first century.
– Americans consume the most ice cream in the world per capital, with Australians coming in second.
– In the USA, July is officially recognised as ‘National Ice Cream Month'; designated by President Reagan in 1984, the idea behind it was for people to celebrate the fun in ice cream as well as recognising its nutritious value.
– Licking the bowl clean after eating ice cream is admitted to by approx 13% of men and 8% of women.
– Elvis Presley is said to have loved ice cream – apparently his favorites were chocolate milkshakes and peach ice cream.
(sources: ice-cream-freaks.com, weirdfacts.com, ice-cream-recipes.com)